We’re rolling out a big new development today:
Introducing Tag Channels.
Similar to Flickr’s tag pages or Twitter’s hashtags, Tumblr’s Tag Channels aggregate tagged posts from everyone on Tumblr in real time with a few special twists:
- To deal with the overwhelming volume of content that makes most real-time search incredibly unwieldy, we’ve developed a clustering engine that lets you quickly filter the 650,000 new Tumblr posts created every day, based on likes and reblogs. You can see a few of the best posts or more unfiltered posts.
- Our post-filtering is automatically calibrating to apply more or less filtering (by default) based on the level of activity in a channel.
- Built-in throttling (still being tweaked) prevents monopolization by individual blogs.
- Tags are normalized, so “Barack Obama” = “barackobama”.
- We’ve made it super-easy to track tags on your Dashboard.
We’re still right in the middle of development. A few things might be acting funny, and we’re not done with the central tag directory yet. So please bear with us!
Now start tagging your posts. :)
For your inspiration: Tech, Politics, NYC, District 9, Healthcare, NFL, FAIL, Pizza, Baby Animals.